"I don’t have to be the smartest person in the world when I know I can get decision-making support from the smartest people in my world."
Meet our Ambassadors
Supported Decision-Making (SDM) Planning The California State Team is working on three big priorities to implement California’s new SDM law:
- We want to work with our local education partners to make SDM part of the transition planning process and to create opportunities for students to play a lead role on their IEP teams from the earliest ages.
- We want to expand access to communication supports because communication is the foundation of SDM and everyone has a right to be heard and understood.
- We want to develop a public awareness campaign for youth and their families about supported decision-making and what it looks like when people use SDM to live their life, their way.
- Information about California’s SDM, AB 1663
- With Support and Without the Court: Supported Decision-Making Handbook for Parents of Adults with Developmental Disabilities in California, a handbook by Disability Voices United about SDM and other alternatives to conservatorship
- Information about limited conservatorships and alternatives, Disability Rights California
- Information about a SDM Technical Assistance Program administered by the State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) in close partnership with Disability Rights California (DRC) and the UC Davis MIND Institute
Information about SDM and why it matters, UC Davis MIND Institute
Other SDM Resources
- Coming soon!